Wondering how to add nofollow external links to your website? This ultimate guide will help you add a nofollow attribute to any external link on any platform. Please select your CMS platform below to get started.
1. How to add a Nofollow Link in WordPress
By default all links added to a WordPress site are dofollow links. However, you can add a
rel=nofollow attribute to any link on your WordPress site, there are 2 methods to do this:
- Add nofollow attribute manually
- Use a plugin to add nofollow links
How to add nofollow links manually in WordPress
To manually add a nofollow link, go to your WordPress editor.
Switch to HTML post editor by clicking “Text” at the top right corner of WordPress post editor.
Now find text or an already anchored link in HTML post editor.
rel="nofollow" attribute after the ending URL. See the HTML example below:
<a href="http://www.example.com" rel="nofollow">External Link</a>
That’s it! Replace as many external links into nofollow links using the above method.
If you want to create backlinks for your website then make sure to check out these best free link building tools as well.
Use a plugin to add a nofollow
This is easier than the above method, so I would recommend it.
- Install Title and NoFollow for Links plugin on your WordPress site.
- Now add a link in your post/page like you would normally do.
- Click on the little gear icon in the insert link area. This will bring up advanced insert link popup.
- Mark the checkbox which says add a rel=’nofollow” tag. See the image for an example:
2. How to Add a Nofollow Link in Shopify
By default, all external links you add to a shopify website or a blog page are dofollow links. So for better SEO, you can add a nofollow attribute to any external link on your Shopify website using the given method:
- Add a
rel="nofollow"attribute in your HTML anchor link.
- Go to your Shopify page/post editor.
- Click on this
</>icon at the top right corner of your text editor.
- Find the external link that you want to make nofollow link.
rel="nofollow"after the end of URL. Please check this image for an example on how to add nofollow attribute to your link in HTML:
When you add an external link on your Shopify site, make sure to add a nofollow attribute for good SEO. Google and other search engines will not follow this external link.
If you want to increase sales on your Shopify website then make sure to interlink all your pages and add a nofollow attribute to external links.
3. How to Add a Nofollow Link in Joomla
Joomla is quite an SEO friendly platform. There are a lot of extensions to help you do things which are difficult for an average user. You can add a nofollow attribute to links manually or use an extension to make that task much easier.
- Install this Marco’s Nofollow extension on your Joomla website.
- This extension will automatically add a
rel="nofollow"attribute to all external links.
- You don’t have to add anything else.
- All of your external links will be nofollow after installing this extension
4.How to Add a Nofollow Link in Drupal
Drupal by default set all the external links to dofollow. If you want to add a rel=”nofollow” attribute to particular external links, then you can do it by adding a rel=”nofollow attribute in your HTML.
However, this could be time-consuming, especially if you want to add a nofollow attribute to all of your outgoing links. You can do it simply with the help of Noindex External Links Drupal Module.
This module will add a
rel="nofollow" tag to all external links on your website. You can try that method or you can use an old-school method by adding a
rel="nofollow" attribute to the links that you want to set to nofollow.
5. How to Add a Nofollow Link in Weebly
This is the only method that I could find when I needed to add nofollow links to my client’s Weebly blog. If you want to try this method, then you have to ditch the normal post editor given by Weebly, instead use Embed Code option to write a post in HTML.
Here’s how to add a nofollow attribute in your Weebly blog.
- Go to post editor in weebly.
- Click on the Embed Code option.
- Now start writing your post as you usually do.
- To create a link in HTML here is how you do it:
<a href="add linking website here">Text that your user will see</a>
To add a nofollow attribute in your link, you can simply add this code
rel="nofollow. Here is an example:
<a href="http://example.com" rel="nofollow">Example of a nofollow link</a>
Now your post external links will have a nofollow attribute and you can check that by using inspect element tool.
6. How to Add a Nofollow Link in Wix
Wix doesn’t provide built-in support for nofollow links at the moment. However, they may add this feature later. It is an important feature to improve your Wix website SEO.
Don’t worry you can still add a nofollow attribute to your Wix blog post. You can add nofollow links at the end of your blog post using “HTML editor” box which Wix provide in their post editor. You can add all external links at the end of a blog post. That way at least they look somewhat user-friendly. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your blog post editor in Wix.
- Start writing whatever you want.
- To add a nofollow external link to your post, simply switch to HTML code editor box by clicking on
- Now add your links manually by using HTML
- Please see the example below:
Adding this code will hopefully make those links nofollow. You can check that by using inspect element tool in your browser.
I hope by reading this post you have a general idea of how you can add a nofollow attribute to an external link. If the platform gives you the freedom to change the HTML code, then you can add a rel=”nofollow” attribute to an external link.
If you find this article useful, then don’t forget to share it. Also if you want to buy quality backlinks services for your website, please feel free to message me.