Removing a domain name is quite a simple process. However, most domain registrar has a little different process of deleting a domain name. In this post, I am going to show you how you can easily remove a domain name from any domain registrar company.
First, let me answer a few questions that might pop up in your mind.
What happens when you Remove a domain name?
Once you delete a domain name, your registration of that particular domain gets terminated. After that:
- When someone visits your domain they won’t see your website.
- If you had set up an email address using that domain then you won’t be receiving any more emails.
- After a grace period (typically 30 days) people can purchase your domain name.
What Happens to Domain Ownership Information?
If you do not have domain privacy protection then it is a little difficult process to erase your domain ownership information because this information is uploaded by bots to various online databases. You have to contact each website to get your domain ownership removed.
However, if you had domain privacy protection then your ownership information will be saved and you don’t need to worry about it.
How Long Does it Take to Remove a Domain Name?
Normally, it takes 5 days to delete a domain name. It depends on your registrar how do they process your request and how they handle the deletion process.
How to Remove My Website Completely from Google?
I have written down a post about this exact topic in which I discussed how to make sure that your website is completely removed from Google. Give it a read, hopefully, it will answer your question.
I hope I answered some of the questions. Now, I am going to show you each domain registrar’s domain name deletion process.
Remove a Domain Name from GoDaddy
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- Check the box next to the domain you want to delete.
- Select More, then click on ‘Delete’.
- Confirm by clicking on Yes, I consent to delete the selected domains.
- Select Continue.
Remove a Domain Name from Bluehost
- Sign in to your Bluehost account.
- From the top menu bar, select Domains.
- ‘Select’ the domain that you want to delete.
- Click on the Un-assign option.
- It will ask for confirmation, click on the Unassign button.
Remove a Domain Name from Google Domains
- Sign in to Google Domains and Select your domain name.
- Open the menu, click on Registration settings.
- Scroll down to Delete domain.
- To the right of “Delete domain,” click Delete.
- Sign in again to confirm your identity.
- Review the restrictions, and click Yes I’m sure, delete the domain.
Remove a Domain Name from HostGator
Login to your HostGator Control Panel. Click on the ‘Domains’.
Select a domain that you wish to delete.
Click on ‘Order Details’.
Click the ‘Delete Order’ link.
Confirm the deletion by clicking the ‘Delete Order’ button.
Remove a Domain Name from Namecheap
Sign in to your Namecheap account.
Select ‘Domain List’ from the left sidebar.
Click the ‘Manage’ button.
Select the ‘Cancel’ option.
Enter your Namecheap account password and click ‘Confirm’.
Remove a Domain Name from DreamHost
Login to your Dreamhost Dashboard.
Navigate to the ‘Websites” page.
Click the ‘Manage’ button for the domain you want to delete.
Select the ‘Hosting’ tab.
Select ‘Permanently Delete Domain’.
Click the ‘Proceed with Deletion’ button.
Remove a Domain Name from Shopify
You need to contact Shopify support to remove a Shopify-managed domain name. For a third-party domain deletion follow the following:
Sign in to your Shopify account.
Go to ‘Online Store’ then select ‘Domains’.
Select the domain that you want to remove from the ‘Third-party domains’ section.
Click ‘Remove’ to confirm the deletion.
Read my post on how to remove negative Google search results if you want to delete a page forever.