Last Updated on
Deleting a domain name is quite a simple process. However, most domain registrars have a different method for deleting a domain name. In this post, I will show you how to easily remove a domain name from any domain registrar company.
Caution: Permanently deleting a domain name involves a multi-step process and should be approached cautiously because it can have significant implications for your online presence.
First, let me answer a few questions that might pop up in your mind.
What happens when you Remove a domain name?
Once you delete a domain name, your domain registration gets terminated. After that:
- When someone visits your domain, they won’t see your website.
- If you created an email address with that domain, you wouldn’t get any more emails.
- Anyone can purchase your domain name after a grace period (typically 30 days).
What Happens to Domain Ownership Information?
If you do not have domain privacy protection, it gets a little complicated to erase your domain ownership information because bots upload it to various online databases. You have to contact each website to get your domain ownership removed.
However, if you have domain privacy protection, your ownership information will be saved, and you don’t need to worry about it.
How Long Does it Take to Delete a Domain Name?
Typically, it takes five days to delete a domain name. It depends on your registrar, how they process your request, and how they handle the deletion process.
How to delete My Website from Google?
I have written a post about this topic, discussing how to ensure your website is completely removed from Google. This tutorial should answer this question in detail.
How to Delete a Domain Name?
I hope I answered the basic questions. I will show you each domain registrar’s domain name deletion process.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- Check the box next to the domain you want to delete.
- Select More, then click on ‘Delete.’
- Confirm by clicking Yes; I consent to delete the selected domains.
- Select Continue.
- Sign in to your Bluehost account.
- From the top menu bar, select Domains.
- ‘Select’ the domain that you want to delete.
- Click on the Un-assign option.
- It will ask for confirmation; click on the Unassign button.
- Sign in to Google Domains and Select your domain name.
- Open the menu, and click on Registration settings.
- Scroll down to Delete domain.
- To the right of the “Delete domain,” click Delete.
- Sign in again to confirm your identity.
- Review the restrictions, click Yes, I’m sure, and delete the domain.
- Login to your HostGator Control Panel. Click on the Domains.
- Select a domain that you wish to delete.
- Click Order Details.
- Click the Delete Order link.
- Confirm the deletion by clicking the Delete Order button.
- Sign in to your Namecheap account.
- Select Domain List from the left sidebar.
- Click the Manage button.
- Select the Cancel option.
- Enter your Namecheap account password and click Confirm.
- Login to your Dreamhost Dashboard.
- Navigate to the ‘Websites” page.
- Click the Manage button for the domain you want to delete.
- Select the Hosting tab.
- Select Permanently Delete Domain.
- Click the Proceed with Deletion button.
Note: You must contact Shopify support to remove a Shopify-managed domain name. For a third-party domain deletion, follow the following process:
- Sign in to your Shopify account.
- Go to ‘Online Store,’ then select Domains.
- Select the domain you want to remove from the ‘Third-party domains’ section.
- Click Remove to confirm the deletion.
Read my post on removing negative Google search results if you want to stop a page from appearing on Google. I hope this post helped you to remove your domain name. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments.